Sunday, August 28, 2011

Time to Start Seeds for the Fall Garden

As summer winds down, it is time to start seeds for the Fall vegetable garden.  Where I live, I will be able to transplant my seedlings outdoors in about a month.  In other parts of the country where it is cooler, you can start your Fall garden even sooner.

Cool Season Gardening
In previous years, I haven't had much success with cool season gardening.  This year I am excited to have a new location in the yard where there will be more sunshine. I've recently received my order of seeds from Botanical Interests.  I'm planning to plant following vegetables this Fall:
  • lettuce, two varieties
  • kale
  • swiss chard
  • green onions
  • snap peas, two varieties
  • beets
  • carrots, three varieties
  • leeks
  • napa cabbage
  • bok choy
  • broccoli
  • cabbage
Will you be planting a Fall garden?  What are you going to plant?

This post is part of Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade, Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet, Real Food Wednesday with Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist! 

    2 comments:

    Chris said...

    We have to plant much earlier here--I planted bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, celeriac, chard, kale, leek, lettuce, and spinach starts at the beginning of August.

    Adi said...

    I live in South Florida. Not much survives in the summer heat, so now getting ready to plant. Ordered seeds for peppers, heirloom tomatoes, snap beans, pole beans, broccoli, sugar snap peas, cabbage, butter lettuce, onions, and zucchini.