Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Zucchini Spaghetti Noodles (GAPS-legal, gluten- and grain-free)

Zucchini season has arrived! Zucchini is a wonderfully healthful vegetable that is a member of the squash family. The zucchini plants growing in my garden are still small, but I picked up some beautiful zucchinis at the farmers' market last weekend.

One of my favorite ways to use zucchini is to make it into noodles for spaghetti.  My husband and I actually prefer the flavor of these zucchini noodles over the bland flavor of pasta.  Both of our kids love them too!

Zucchini Spaghetti Noodles
1&1/2 to 2 medium zucchinis per person
Butter or combination of olive oil and butter
Fine-ground celtic sea salt
Vegetable peeler

Using a vegetable peeler, make long noodles from the zucchinis.  Rotate the zucchini as you go to make the most of each one.  When you have only a small piece left, use a knife to make a few more very thin slices.  The noodles don't have to be perfect, so don't stress if some are short and some are long.  When you're done, you'll have a small mountain of noodles.

Melt some butter (or butter and olive oil) in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the noodles, season with salt, and occasionally use some tongs or a big spoon to turn them and move them around in the pan. The zucchini will release some water and will shrink down a lot while cooking.  You may need to reduce the heat to medium after a few minutes if your skillet starts to get too hot. Saute the noodles for about 7 minutes if you like your noodles to be al dente, or for up to 12 minutes if you like your noodles soft.

Top the noodles with your favorite marinara sauce and cheese!  

This post is part of Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet, Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist, Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade and Real Food Wednesday with Kelly the Kitchen Kop!

9 comments:

Tom and Juli said...

A pasta place in town serves zucchini pasta and we love it! I never thought of making it myself, so we'll have to try it.

Taryn Kae Wilson said...

I am so excited to try this! Thank you!

Kelsey said...

Thanks for doing this without a veggie spiraler thing! :) I've been wanting to try zucchini pasta but everyone uses those spiral things that I don't want to buy. So now I can try this! We also like to use spaghetti squash for noodles.

Sarah Smith said...

Hi Kelsey, we love spaghetti9 squash too. But zucchini noodles are our favorite!

Megan said...

Just made this tonight and it was great! You know, I guess I realized the bloated feeling I usually get from eating spaghetti is from the pasta. But not tonight! Yum! My husband, who is sometimes a bit iffy about my gluten-free substitutes, had thirds and was a member of the clean plate club. Hooray!

Sarah Smith said...

Megan - Thanks for your comment about the zucchini noodles! It made me happy. I'm always happy to find things to please the man of the house, too!

Vicki Arnold said...

This recipe printed just fine. Maybe it is the bullet points. I think the ones that have bullet points aren't working. It's not stopping me from putting them on my menu plan, though, lol. :) Thank you for the recipes!

Sarah Smith said...

I don't know what the problem is Vicki. I know it prints some with bulleted lists fine (like if you try the grain-free sandwich bread recipe). Hmmm...

Autumn Cabral said...

I used the julienne slicer on my mandolin and had 6 zucchinis done in about ten minutes. I actually came here for the cooking instructions. Thanks!