Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Lime and Coconut Macaroons (GAPS-legal, gluten- and grain-free)

Macaroons: simple, crispy, and sweet.  These lime and coconut macaroons are a nourishing homemade dessert, and such a great way to use up egg whites leftover from making homemade mayonnaise.

I like to make macaroons in large batches and store them in the freezer.  There is no need to thaw them as you can eat them straight out of the freezer. This way we don't have to eat a whole batch in a week and can make sure we're not eating too many sweets. 

Lime and Coconut Macaroons:
  1. Zest one of the limes using a microplane rasp or fine grater.  Use a reamer to juice the limes into a small bowl.  You'll need about 3-4 Tb of lime juice for this recipe.
  2. Beat egg whites and salt in a clean bowl until they form stiff peaks. I like to use my KitchenAid stand mixer with the whisk attachment, but any mixer would work. 
  3. Mix in the vanilla extract, and then add the honey a little bit at a time.
  4. Add the lime juice and zest.  Beat well.  
  5. Using a spoon or spatula, fold in the coconut.
  6. Scoop the cookie batter onto lined dehydrator* trays (I use fruit roll trays, but you could also use parchment paper to line your dehydrator).  I like to use a 2-tablespoon scoop to get consistently pretty cookies, but you could also just use a normal spoon. 
  7. Dehydrate the cookies for about 20-24 hours at 155 degrees F until very crispy (make sure you allow a cookie to cool completely to test if it is done, as they will be a bit chewy when warm). 
Makes about 30 cookies. Perfect when served with a glass of raw milk or some homemade ice cream!

*If you don't have a dehydrator, bake the cookies on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper at 300 degrees for about 1/2 hour or until lightly browned. Reduce oven to 200 degrees and bake another hour or so until macaroons are completely dry and crisp.

This post is part of Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet, Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist, Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade and Real Food Wednesday with Kelly the Kitchen Kop!

7 comments:

Laura said...

These look great. I might just have to whip up a batch for my dad!

annies home said...

oh my love the taste combination I will have to try these for sure come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I just came across your blog and love it! Gonna make these today! I was looking on amazon at the different Nesco dehydrators and was wondering which model you had? I found the
http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-75PR-700-Watt-Food-Dehydrator/dp/B000FFVJ3C/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_c
and the snack size one.
Thank you,
Jennifer

Sarah Smith said...

Hi Jennifer - I have this dehydrator:
http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-61WHC-Snackmaster-Dehydrator/dp/B0002WSQHU?ie=UTF8&tag=nourisheda-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969
It comes with fruit roll trays and the jerky gun, and I use it all regularly!

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

I'm visiting your blog from Pennywise Platter Thursday. I really like your recipes.I have had a dehydrator for about a year and have been too intimidated to try it. Maybe I will try it on this great looking cookie recipe. I am now followin you. I hope your will stop by my blog and follow me back.

Edie said...

If we can't do citrus can we substitute something else for the lime?

Sarah Smith said...

Hi Edie,
You could try the plan macaroon recipe instead of the lime one:
http://nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.com/2011/03/coconut-macaroons-gaps-legal-grain-and.html